Thursday, December 14, 2006

Opinions on TUMT procedure? [BPH]

Opinions on TUMT procedure? [BPH]: "About age - if you had a 5 year old house and the plumbing backed up,
would you think 'this house is too new for roto-rooter so I'll live with
it and mop up everyday until it's 20 years older?'

Look up posts to this NG from Patrick starting 4 or 5 years ago. He was
around your age, had serious BPH and had an unsuccessful microwave
treatment for it. Several of his Doctors and Urologists did not want to
believe it could be BPH at his age. He finally became an early
participant in clinical trials of PVP. His results were great and
influenced a few of us on this NG to seek PVP.

Left untreated, BPH can do permanent damage to your bladder and even
kidneys - just like ignoring a plumbing leak can eventually cause rot,
mildew and mold.

I believe that the reason some guys have continuing problems after PVP,
and some other procedures, is because things above the prostate have
become damaged by neglect. Clearing the passageway cannot restore a
bladder stretched and weakened by years of retention. Good Doctors
explain what you can reasonably expect, based on the tests and
evaluation they have performed on you, before scheduling surgery.

My advice is to thoroughly evaluate through urodynamic tests,
cystoscophy, blood work, PSA (with biopsy if indicated) what and where
the problem really is. If you indeed have BPH - fix it. I am among
those extremely satisfied and grateful for my PVP - but I would add that
I would rather have a TURP by the best TURP surgeon in the country than
a PVP by the worst PVP surgeon. The skill of my surgeon fixed my BPH.

Al
PVP Dec 2003, Dr Te


N D via MedKB.com wrote:
> Hi, I'm a 34-year-old who has been dealing with moderate BPH the past few
> years. Tried Flomax and Urotraxal and had bad reactions to them, and after
> conssulting with 2 uros have opted to get trans urethral microwave therapy
> done in January rather than anything more invasive which I'd like to avoid
> since I'm pretty young for all this. Long story short, would like to get
> opinions from anyone that may have had it done. Hard to find real experiences
> and opinions out there on the Internet on this. I'd like to hear anyone's
> experiences if they have them. Thanks!"