Thursday, December 14, 2006

Mailgate: sci.med.prostate.bph: Re: TUMT post effects

Mailgate: sci.med.prostate.bph: Re: TUMT post effects: "Joe, I had TUMT on Dec 3 last year. Mine was the Targis which took 30 minutes. It was (for me) extremely painful. I was given a valium and vicodin prior to the procedure but they didn't seem to make much difference. I also experienced a great deal of post-op pain for two months!! I was told that I was the only patient that experienced that much discomfort. So perhaps I was an exception to the norm. I took out the catheter the day after the procedure because I hated the damned thing. I could barely pee for the next couple days so I probably shouldn't have done that. I experienced bleeding during voiding for a good six weeks. When I ejaculated what came out looked like tabasco sauce! So don't be alarmed should you do that. It goes back to normal in time. The good news is that by week five I was peeing quite well. It is now 3 1/2 months and I am peeing very well. The pain is now gone. Even if I am sitting in a long meeting and have to pee BAD, when I do get to the bathroom it just flows! Used to be if I held it too long I could take over five minutes to void. And even then it was not complete and I would have to return to the bathroom in 10 minutes. I hated that! So, inspite of the discomfort I experienced, I am very happy now. I just hope that the effects last for many years. Good Luck! Bob"